Saturday, January 27, 2007

Well, I finished my book!!

I highly recommend the book "A Love Like No Other" that I spoke about in my last post. It was great and very informative. I have now cracked "The Post Adoption Blues" by Karen J. Foli and John R. Thompson. I am usually a very upbeat and positive person but I think that since we have so long to wait, it is a great idea to read everything out there. At the same time, I am reading the story "Forgotten Leaves: the story of an unwanted Chinese daughter" by Adeline Yen Mah.
Has anyone read the attachment book by Deborah Gray? Our waiting families group next month will focus on attachment in adoption so I thought that I might try and read this before that. From what I have heard, it is a bit of a dry read but very informative. Oh yea, I am also reading "Good Luck Life" by Rosemary Gong. It is a super resource for Chinese celebrations and cultural ideas. I have just read the chapter on Chinese New Year and even though we have celebrated it for many years - we have a meal, buy the stamps from Canada Post for that year and generally enjoy the celebrations in Chinatown - I had never heard of the celebration around the Kitchen God. I first read about the Kitchen God in Amy Tan's novels and closer to home, books by Vancouver author Wayson Choy but I didn't know that you burn the paper effigy of the Kitchen God each year so that he can report how worthy your family is, every New Year's eve. Neat. We will be adding this book to our collection some day (as this one is a library book). I also love the author Anchee Min. I have read all of her books now - my secret pal gave me my favorite one "Empress Orchid" which again, I highly recommend.
So, that is what I am reading right now - I LOVE my library, they have so many books and DVD's to borrow. What are you all reading? Anything good? Let me know.

1 comment:

t~ said...

Geesh, your a reading fool! I've been reading "Attaching in Adoption" not sure of the author without looking at it, but it is a s.l.o.w. read. I'm only 1/2 through, but I am sure there must be something in that book that I need to know.