Friday, March 30, 2007

Our wedding meme...

This one is very self indulgent but I really enjoyed reading Kayce's answers so I though I would give it a try!!
1. Where/How did you meet? I was 15, he was 18 and we were working together in one of my Mom's "Christmas" stores - his big brother was my Mom's right hand man. Shawn says that he fell in love with me when he first saw me because I looked like an "angel" (it was a dark store and I was at the back, with a light behind my blond hair). We ALWAYS had a real connection/attraction but he was just too old for me, played guitar in a punk band, had HUGE hair (the 80's)and was very mysterious!!
2. How long have you known each other? 22 years
3. How long after you met did you start dating? 4 years - when I was 19 and home from University for the holidays, he asked me out (I thought that we were going to a movie with "everyone" but it turned out to be the two of us!!!) and that was it!!!
4. How long did you date before you were engaged? 2 years (the 1st time Shawn asked I was only 18 and said no but I said yes 3 years later!!)
5. How long was your engagement? 8 years (had to be sure!!!)
6. How long have you been married? 8 years
7. What is your anniversary? January 30th at 7:45 pm. We were married on the upside of the clock as it is good luck (Chinese custom).
8. How many people came to your wedding reception? 90 it was small, intimate and we had an open bar!!
9. What kind of cake did you serve? Traditional Caribbean Rum Cake in three different sizes with a marzipan then fondant. It was on three different stands and beautifully decorated with flowers, lights and fabric.
10. Where was your wedding? London Civic Centre in the Solarium, beside the little pond, amongst the flowers.
11. What did you serve for your meal? We had 5 different h'ordeurves served by the staff with a champagne cocktail and then an Italian themed buffet with a Chef preparing individual pasta sauces and dishes.
12. How many people were in your wedding party? 4 groomsmen and 1 bridesmaid, flower girl and ring bearer.
13. Are you still friends with them all? They are our brothers and sister. The flower girl is my Mom's close friend's daughter who now babysits my nephews and our little ring bearer nephew is almost 6ft tall!!
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? yes - he NEVER cries so he had EVERYONE crying except me, I was giggling
15. Most special moment of your wedding day? When my FIL took me aside and said "now I have my daughter". Oh yes and when we kissed and everyone gave big cheers, yelling FINALLY!!!
16.Any funny moments? When my 25 year old step-brother (who has severe brain damage from Epilepsy) got mad at having to stand around for so long during the ceremony, yelled "Jesus Christ" really loudly then stomped all the way up the winding wooden ramp as his companion took him out of the garden area. My sister and I were hysterical!!
17. Any big disasters? Shawn was REALLY sick and his Aunties kept telling me I needed to take him home. He is green in our photos!!!
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Wikkaninish Inn,
19. How long were you gone? 7 longest days of my life. Shawn spent the week in bed fighting the flu while I was so thankful that we had a spa and the movie channels in our little cabin!!
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I would have a mother who behaved and a groom who wasn't falling over with the flu!!
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? Right
22. What size is your bed? queen
23. Greatest strength as a couple? We are still in love with each other after all of these years. We support one another through all of our ups and downs. We respect each other and laugh together.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple? Our families .
25. Who literally pays the bills? Me
26. What is your song? "Wonderful Tonight" (Shawn actually sang it on a CBC station for a valentine's contest and they played it on my 30th bday!!) and "Moondance" (after we made it to a VM concert for the encore at the EX in TO - don't ask but it was a CRAZY trip- and we looked up and saw the full moon rising while VM sang - too romantic!!!)
27. What did you dance your first dance to? Some song in a club - neither of us can remember. We do remember the DJ announcing over the loud speaker that we needed to get a room though!!!!
28. Describe your wedding dress: The top was deep blue velvet with a V neckline and flowing sleeves so that my "borrowed" gold, ruby and diamond necklace would show. The rest of the dress was a brocade cream coloured cotton.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? Red and black velvet looking roses in our bouquets and our hair (the girls) with white freesia, lavender and greenery.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? Nope
31. How old were you when you got married? 28 and 31

There, more than you ever wanted to know!!!!!

8 comments:

D & S said...

Poor Shawn, sick on his wedding day! At least you had a good sense of humour with everything.

TBG Happenings said...

Poor you...shawn sick on your wedding day ) ok poor shawn too) thanks for sharing, I love how ya met stories!

maryellen

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

I loved reading about your wedding day! Thanks so much for sharing your special moments. Too bad your hubby was so sick. :( I'm going to do this one on my blog so come on over when you get the chance. :)

Kayce said...

Gosh I LOVE weddings!!!! Thank you for doing this!

4D said...

Love this MEME! Sounds great except for a sick Shawn
Keep smilin!

t~ said...

Ugh, I can't believe he had the flu on his wedding day. That's so sad. I love that you said no at first and then said yes 3 yrs. later. Fun stuff, thanks for sharing it!

Alyson and Ford said...

Hope you have many great anniversary celebrations - go all out on your tenth, 15th, etc. They will be very special and create more of those "fun" memories you listed.
I may have to post about my wedding.....

Alyson

Tao's Mommy said...

LOVE IT!!! You are coming up with the neatest posts!! Well I cannot play this game, but my "fantasy" wedding is one on the beach on some tropical island....hopefully one day!!!
Thanks for sharing your special day memories!!